Tuesday, January 1, 2013

All I Really Need to Know I Learned from AOGG. And Latimer's American Heritage.

 

I have the type of husband who loves making his family happy.  I am the type of person who loves making me happy.  So my birthday is always great.  This past birthday (two months ago . . . dang gina, it's about time I got my write on), my husband asked what I wanted.  I told him that this year I wasn't asking for anything material but instead wanted him to watch the entire Anne of Green Gables movie series (9 hours) with me.  Every few years I get the itch to watch Anne.  I think it mostly hits when I think the world is going kaput (2012 election anyone?), and I want to escape it by visiting  simple Avonlea with its one-room schoolhouse and where the biggest concern is passing the entrance exam for Queen's or dealing with the snubberies of Josie Pye.

So we watched Anne of Green Gables and fell in love with Anne all over again.  Then we watched Anne of Avonlea and yelled mean things as Anne rejected Gilbert (what the whaaaa girlfriend?  He's perfect!), developed feelings for Captain Morgan Harris (ew! so old!) and finally realized her true love for Gilbert as he lay in his bed, dying of scarlet fever (man that close-up of his sick, washed-up face is baaaaaad.)  Then we watched Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story and wanted to chuck it out the window.  That whole movie makes me mad, not only because it is based on nothing LMM ever wrote but the characters don't even resemble themselves inside or out. 

Daniel was a good sport.  He's more of a romantic than I, so even though he groaned at the length of the movies and rolled his eyes at many of Anne's shenanigans, he was also happy to see that Anne and Gilbert end up together.

The whole thing made me crave to read the books again, and I ran through AOGG in four seconds flat.  I became a part of myself that I left behind long ago--reading every spare second, late into the night, and getting fully wrapped up in a book.  I honestly haven't felt that way in years, and it made me realize how important reading is to me and my health.  It made me realize how fake and awful television and internet-surfing can be.  A poor man's literature.  A counterfeit copy of true entertainment. 

Reading the book was so enjoyable to me that I here I leave you with some gems from AOGG.  Drum roll, please.

"I thought nothing could be worse than red hair.  But green is ten times worse."  I have often thought about this storyline this past year when I battled pink eye (read: no contacts, no make-up) for three weeks and accidentally colored my hair orange which then I had repaired to platinum (read: major hair breakage).

About Rachel Lynde:  "I sometimes think she'd have more of an influence for good if she didn't keep nagging people to do right." 

"How do you vote, Matthew?"
"I'm a conservative."
"Then I'm a conservative too."

"That is one consolation when you are poor--there are so many more things you can imagine about."

Please leave your fave Anne line or scene in the comments.

6 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS ENTIRE POST!!!!! seriously. i ADORE anne with an "e." one of my favorite quotes is the very true statement that "It is ever so much easier to be good if your clothes are fashionable."

    and i am so with you on tv being a poor man's literature. my children do not know what the new year holds for them, but i plan on seriously curtailing and even cutting out their television addiction. and you have just inspired me to kick off the whole movement with a family read aloud of "anne of green gables"! happy new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds.”

    i just went to goodreads to find a quote and this is the one that i just kept reading. i want to right it down and frame it.

    and poop on tv. i hate when i end up watching some and then i realize i had a book to read.

    "a counterfeit copy of true entertainment." brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WRITE it down. tv has ruined me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Latimer's American Heritage absolutely changed my life. I still think about that class when talking politics. I wish I enjoyed reading and could have a cultured and intelligent comment to add here about AOGG, but alas, I will simply say that I did enjoy the movies. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sora Beck, this blog post made me wish that we could have been companions on the mission. It also made me want to watch Anne of Green Gables again. I grew up on the Anne of Green Gables series and the books as well. Also, I totally agree about #3 being an atrocity. Horrid, really. Also, seriously, you are an amazing writer. Such a wit. Good to be reading your blog and be able to catch up with you through it!!

    "But if you call me Anne, please call me Anne with an 'e'"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne, I'm s0rry. I want to watch that every day. I saw pictures of your plat hair and was like, Wow. That's plat hair Heather.

    ReplyDelete