Tuesday, July 8, 2014

These are a Few of My Favorite Things

It's the final countdown. But, in order to pass the time, we have been trying to swim as much as possible. Once this baby comes, I feel like my summer is OVER. In a good way, but still. OVER.

Though, we do live in Florida, and I could probably swim through October. So maybe not OVER. But very much at a STANDSTILL. But the word STANDSTILL doesn't seem quite as dramatic in caps, so let's just say . . .

My summer is about to be OVER.

So recently, some friends and I went out for a "last hurrah" dinner. One of my friends asked me, "What is the one thing you want to do before you have this baby?" And I tried to think of something exotic, but I knew what the true answer was. Go to the beach. We have beaches all around us so maybe it's not that exciting to some people, but it still is SO exciting to me.

Swimming is one of my favorite activities. Whenever a friend invited me over to swim growing up, I was always in the pool as long as they would let me stay. As a Young Single Adult, I remember going to numerous pool parties where these cool professional single people would stand next to the pool and talk and never get in. Suddenly, actually swimming was no longer cool. But I was still that girl in the pool, swimming by herself.

Sometimes we get invited to someone's private pool here in Florida, and they are waterlogged after 45 minutes. And so everyone gets out, and I feel like I should get out too. Daniel is the same as I. We always look at each other like, "Aw ma, do I have to get out already?" and then remind ourselves that we are adults and need to be somewhat socially acceptable.

So when I told Daniel we have to swim as many days a week as we can and go to the beach at least once a week before this baby comes, he very easily agreed to comply.



The beaches here are gorgeous. White sand. Really warm water. June loves it. She loves it too much. She has no fear of the water, so we are constantly fighting her from just putting her head in the water without holding her breath.


I clearly have no shame. Big pregnant belly at the beach? Sure, why not. The way this belly is growing, I am sure that swimsuit top will be a bikini top by the end of the week.

There is a man who is 923847 years old in our complex who lays out at our pool every single day. He is crazy tan. I call him Leather Couch. Looking at this picture makes me think I am getting too tan. Protect your skin, people!


Another favorite. On the way home from our beach outings, we always get frosties from Wendy's. Now I'm a hard scoop ice cream girl myself. But frosties have a special place in my heart because growing up my grandma would always take us to get them when she visited us. So they taste like childhood. And now that they offer the option of a waffle cone, it's childhood . . . in a waffle cone! What better combination! Please ignore Daniel's vanilla frosty. He doesn't understand the blasphemy that is vanilla.

We had some friends invite us up to their condo on the beach for the 4th of July. It was heaven on earth. The beaches are incredibly crowded on holidays, but they had access to a private beach, and it was totally peaceful. Plus, there was a private pool too. So we relaxed in the pool once we were done being sandy. This was June within 3 minutes of putting her in the car at the end of that day.


Where are her clothes, you might ask? We don't believe in them. Or we don't believe in ever packing everything we need. Even common sense things like clothes. Just be glad she had a diaper, ok?

Another favorite . . .

This girl in these sunglasses. She wore them for our Fourth of July breakfast at church. Adorable.

Another favorite . . .

The Fourth of July. I get choked up every single time I hear the national anthem. Or meet a veteran. Or think about how blessed we are to live in this country. We are so blessed.

More favorites . . .


These brownies. From scratch. Which is a huge deal for me because I always thought that brownies from the box were better. Plus, I am a terrible baker. My cookies always run together. But this recipe is the bizness. Make it.

1 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder.

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in saucepan and then add remaining ingredients. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 25 minutes.

There is a frosting that goes with it too, but it doesn't need it. And you know I have never said that before. So that means these brownies are GOOD.

One last favorite...


(Sorry for the blurry image; it's the only one I could find online.) Do you ever feel like your scripture study is a bit stale? I do. The scriptures are awesome, and I know the problem is me, not them. I am not the best scripture reader, but I want to become better. Reading the Book of Mormon along with this study guide provided by the Church has been a lifesaver. There are tons of quotes from the prophets and apostles and other church leaders to go along with every chapter of the Book of Mormon. I love the Book of Mormon even more now because of this awesome study guide. Maybe you would enjoy it too!

Please drop a line with some of your recent faves.

4 comments:

  1. My faves include those sunglasses on June for sure!! I loved this post. You look awesome. Great prego mom physique, actually! I can't understand the vanilla frosty, but... I'm sure it's great....... ahem.
    Other faves: dirty diet coke, listening to conference talks while I get ready, air conditioning, and the Bachelorette. I cannot help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard scoop forever! I had the best cone from a roadside stand last week. Fro yo is terrible.
    And you are a beautiful pregnant woman. I can't wait to come see you. {Insert passive aggressive weight comment from mom here.}
    We should have frosties at grandma bonnies funeral.
    And I love to swim all day too. Who could ever get tired of it? Youre almost naked and not dressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm going to make those brownies today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such a babe. Congrats on having a baby! Yay- after 3 pushes! Also, one day we will come visit you. We live on the other side with the colder beaches, but we still go sometimes. Yay for pools and beaches.

    ReplyDelete