Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Another relaxing family meal.

Today, our family had the rare occasion of going out to lunch in the middle of the week to celebrate some good news. We were quickly reminded why we never go out to eat anymore--our kids are nuts. I'm pretty sure that each Red Robin employee who witnessed our scene at the corner booth entered a convent or monastery upon our departure from the establishment.

June and Gwen took turns crying, screaming, running away, and our celebratory outing quickly turned into an eating contest between Dan and me, stuffing as many bites in our months as we possibly could so we could haul Hurricane Jolley the heck outta there.

I took June on a walk toward the end of the meal, and took my eyes off of her for two seconds. Two seconds. I know, I know--why would I ever take my eyes off this child? I cannot even blink most days for fear of arson or other criminal activity. When I turned around, I found her inside one of these:



A claw machine. See that grey door on the right? The machine at Red Robin had a door that was closer to the ground. Girlfriend June opened that door and climbed right in. She succeeded in crawling through the door, and it SHUT BEHIND HER. She was standing up, and her head was inside the glass next to the toys.

It's hard to describe, but the space was really small, even for a person like her. She had to squeeze herself in there. Once the door shut, it was next to impossible to push the door back toward her while also squeezing her body underneath it. It's not like someone could just get in and out of it whenever she wanted.

A Red Robin employee looked over and saw a child's head floating in the machine and started screaming. I ran over to the machine just as Dan was coming over with Gwen. He gave me a look that let me know I had lost my nomination for Mother of the Year. And I was so close! Haha.

Daniel bent over and pushed on the door and tried to force June's legs back under. But June was in heaven and kept pushing the door at him from the opposite side. An employee called a manager. It was really exciting.

We began to worry that we wouldn't be able to get her out without having someone open the machine because the crawl space was so tight and it was much harder to crawl back out than to enter. And, like I said, June was working AGAINST us. Dan was yelling at June through the glass. "COME BACK OUT. NOW!" and June was not complying in the slightest.

Finally, he yanked her out, just as the manager was coming up. We called out an apology to the employees and ran to the car. The girl who had first seen June in the machine was pretty much hyperventilating.

Now THAT's how you celebrate something.

12 comments:

  1. I HAVE NO WORDS. THIS IS CRAZY. I AM SO GLAD EVERYONE IS OKAY. I think the most important question is... which burger did you get? Bleu Ribbon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely the bleu ribbon. What else would have been worth taking this crew out in public?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this post during class. Big Mistake. It was so hard to not laugh out loud in the middle of the lecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. What can I say--we are a classy bunch.

      Delete
  4. Whhhhhhhaaaaaaatttttttt? You didn't tell me this! Blythe and june are never allowed to hang out now. Hahaha ha. Not really. One needs to drive the getaway car.
    Bleu ribbon is the best.
    we still have ANOTHER crapplebee's gift card to use. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blythe and June is a combination I just can't fathom at times. I'm sure they will be sent home from EFY when they go together. (I kind of have their best friendship/cousinship planned out.)

      Delete
  5. thank you for making my whole entire morning!!!! hahahahahaha. i am literally laughing out loud so hard right now that tears are rolling down my cheeks. it's so good to know that my kids aren't the only children who can't be taken out in public. :) too bad we're not next door neighbors, then we could commiserate together all the time. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would surely enjoy being your neighbor. I think your family is so cool! But could one neighborhood handle all of us? Haha.

      Delete
  6. You beck girls were born to be comedians!!!! I can't even handle how freKin hilarious yall are... So my only questoon now is... We're you two the June and Blythe for your poor mom?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my heck!! That was the BEST story ever! I REALLY wish you would have stopped to take a picture. I love that girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hyperventilating! Holy cow, that is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHAHA that is the best. and the WORST. why are kids so embarrassing????

    ReplyDelete