Friday, February 5, 2016

Jacksonville.

The gist of January for the Jolleys: Jacksonville.

The second week of January, Dan received a job offer which required relocation to Jacksonville. And would be starting in 3 weeks. We felt good about it (the next day) and decided to take it. The hiring manager told Dan that we could push the start date of the job back two weeks, but I figured 5 weeks of moving frenzy instead of 3 weeks is just two more weeks of living in transition and prolonging a painful process. Hence, we went with the three-week option and here we are, heads still spinning and mass confusion finally starting to simmer down to the normal state of confusion we more comfortably dwell in.

I knew nothing about Jacksonville before moving here, but am quickly starting to understand something my rental agent told me when I came out to look at houses. She said, "You are moving north of Tampa, but you are moving South culturally." Tampa is more touristy and tropical; Jacksonville is more forest-y and autumnal, and the people here are true southerners. Tampons (my word for Tampa residents) are great too, but more transient. I feel like the people I have met here have lived here for years and know everything about this town. It's really cool.

Moving was a heinous beast, as it always is. I always start out completely organized, and by the end I'm running on no sleep and just wishing I could burn everything down and start afresh in our new location. To prove the low level of function I have been exhibiting, a sad tale for you.

Upon arrival, I realized that one of our well-intentioned ward members in Tampa, while helping us load up our truck, had accidentally picked up a package addressed to one of our neighbors and put it with our belongings. I felt so bad that we had swiped it and promised to send it back to her. Which I did. I took it to the post office, and they showed me where it said "Fedex" on the box. So I again picked up the massively heavy box and, while pushing Gwen in a stroller, took it to the closest Fedex where they agreed to send it back to her. And then my sweet, former neighbor opened it and let me know it was a box that she had given me to help me move and it was full of my stuff. Yep. That's organization at its finest, folks.

My best friend Lindsey had tickets to visit us the weekend we moved, and we tried convincing her to change her tickets so that she could come during a more relaxed time. She wouldn't hear of it, insisting she wanted to help. She's one of those noble, good friends who wants to help you through a horrible situation, whereas I think I have ended entire friendships in order to get out of helping with a big project. She got in late the night before we moved


and then drove the moving truck early the next morning so that I could drive the kids, while Dan went to work his last day in Tampa and met up with us later. She is really, truly the best of best friends.

I'm down to unloading my last four boxes. I'm so excited. And whereas I usually have one or two boxes I never unload, I am determined to get through to the end. Tomorrow is the day!!

June started at a new school, where the teacher quickly determined "that girl has a mind of her own."



Direct quote.

The best part of the new house, of course, is that it is a house! We have been living in apartments forever, and we finally get to stretch our legs a bit. We have been living here one week, and it's amazing how quickly you get used to comfort. I can't imagine going back to our old place now.



We have a backyard, which is very important for Gwen, my avid stick-collector. I found no fewer than 10 sticks under her crib when we packed it up in Tampa.




Plus, with a backyard, we have more places to facilitate time-out.


And just some other randoms while we're at it (because who knows when I'll blog again!)


June draws the letter "J"


and makes the letter "H" out of sticks.



The Jolleys are in Jax.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Your praise exceeds my contribution. Let's not forget the morning I sat on the couch and then fell asleep FOR SEVERAL HOURS while you cleaned and unpacked around me. I owe you another moving trip. Love you, Jolley fam! Can't wait to come again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lindsey is something else. And I bet your neighbor will miss you very much.
    I hope this move means more timeouts for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha. love it all! and i totally understand wanting to keep moving craziness to 3 weeks rather than stretch it out for 5. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. See recommended home builders if you want to build your new home and even find reputable architects.
    Jacksonville florida

    ReplyDelete