Friday, February 15, 2019

Don't Go Breakin' My Heart! I Couldn't If I Tried!

Valentine's Day 2019.

'Twas the night before Valentine's Day 
And all through the house
Not a Creature was Stirring
Except Me. 

And man was I tired. "Creature" is probably the best word to describe the mood I was in the eve before V-Day. Akin to the famed Brit Spears lyrics, "I'm not a girl, not yet a woman", at night "I'm not completely dead, but not exactly human."

Hauling my prego belly from room to room to set up the various V-day treats, I wondered why I am doing this. And then I wonder if my kids are spoiled. All of their grandparents and a generous aunt (Thanks Carrie!) sent them goodies and valentines.

I guess they are spoiled but hopefully in the right way.

On MLK Jr. day, June begged me to make a heart chain to count down the days until V-Day. We did so, but forgot to ever rip off any of the chains. No matter, because it served as a heart "gate" barrier to the kitchen. No one was allowed to enter the heart gate until they had made their bed AND used the restroom. These don't seem like very lofty requirements, but trust me, they are.

After the "Big Two" chores were done, the girls entered, and there was much rejoicing in the land.


June on her favorite day of the year.


The grandparents and Aunt Carrie took care of most of the goodies. I gave each kid a book or book set. Always trying to sneak literacy in there. June received the E.B. White book set--Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan

Gwen received The Peter Rabbit Book Collection. Harris received Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? after I discovered ours had been submerged under water last year. 

Two of the books in Gwen's set were lost before five minutes were up. This means Harris is the culprit. He's so good at hiding things. Gwen is heartbroken. YAY V-DAY!

Harris threw his book at the wall repeatedly yesterday but allowed some actual reading to take place this morning.

Breakfast:
Red-ish hearts with whipped cream border.

Most of the hearts were more anatomically-shaped than heart-shaped, but guess what!! Forming corners on pancakes is hard.

We did heart hair, same as last year. Poor Gwen went first, and as guinea pig, her heart was a bit more disconnected. Broken hearts all over for Gwen yesterday.


And June:


And pink and purple outfits, picked by the girls.



And heart-shaped sandwiches for lunch.

And heart-shaped pasta for dinner.

And I looked for these ice cube trays all day and found them at the end of the day, when I was getting a vase for the flowers Dan brought home for me. Of course.

So no ice this year.

You know the Berenstain Bears book, Too Much Birthday?

Well, that was kind of June's experience with V-Day this year. She gets SO excited and wants to do everything and then gets frustrated and snaps. She spent a good part of dinner in her room calming down. From what I can gather, it started at school when they made valentines for the librarian and she didn't get to finish hers. So she was trying to do it at home and was very worried about the librarian getting it TODAY and kept begging me to drive it up to the school even though the school was already closed. Then a piece of yellow construction paper caught her eye, and she just had to make a sun valentine card too, featuring Mrs. Sun. And then she wasn't finished by the time dinner was starting, and we told her she could finish it after. And then she flipped.

And then she calmed down and came to dinner. And then didn't get the chair she wanted. Flipped again.

All the excitement is too much for her. I joked this morning about not celebrating V-day next year, and she BAWLED. So I guess it was too soon?

Anyway, I'm really not the type of mom to go overboard on things like this, and it kinda kills me every year. Even though I don't do that much! I slept 10 hours last night. Dan had to stop our romantic V-Day movie, U.S. Marshals, after 45 minutes because I was out.

The. End. of Valentine's Day!!!

For this year.

2 comments:

  1. The picture of June on her fave day of the year is the most heart-warming thing I've ever seen. She is BEAMING. Beautiful. Just beautiful! Love your family and all this!!! I love that Harris hid and threw books. Poor Gwen. Give her a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where does one get a chocolate maze heart??? also, chocolate maze heart sounds like a hallmark bakery love story movie.

    i'm impressed at all you pulled off. and i think you're pregnant because you watch movie like "US Marshalls" for valentines. how could you not be pregnant after watching that?

    ReplyDelete