Monday, June 24, 2019

Last Day of School!!!

June's last day of school was Friday. It was a really rainy day.


The world was crying. 

First day of first grade:



And the last:


Man, it takes a long time to grow out bangs!!! Let this be a reminder to all of your--friends don't let friends cut bangs.

I have been nervous about this summer. That is the understatement of the century. New baby, not being able to swim myself for six weeks, being warned again and again by docs not to take baby many places because of measles and other outbreaks, etc makes for a crazy and antsy mama. I am a homebody, but staying home only feels good after you've been able to be out and about for a bit.

So these past few weeks, I stocked up on every little dumb Target and Aldi craft thingy they had on sale and loaded up our bookshelves with art supplies.


June's teachers sent home THREE fat packets of optional summer homework. I really hope we don't get that desperate. Homework is the worst.

I also bought the complete Ramona Quimby book set, and we read them every night. We're already on book three, Ramona the Brave.

Today, I was feeling a little daring, and so we ventured out to the park down the street. I told everyone we would only be able go for a quick jaunt. Well, there were bugs EVERYWHERE, and I didn't want Baby Beck to get eaten. So I gave Gwen and Harris each a few pushes in the swing and announced it was time to go. All three older kids promised me that they understood we could only go to the park if they would listen and obey when I said it was time to go. June and Gwen did well with this, but of course Harris only promised under duress and not understanding at all what I was making him promise. He kicked and screamed, and I had to carry him out of the park, all while June and Gwen tried to steer the stroller with Baby Beck themselves. This resulted in the stroller nearly careening off the path and into the woods multiple times. 

What a rejuvenating experience!!!

So, like my previous experiences with newborns, it isn't the baby that is the hard part, it is the toddler above the baby that is the struggle.

Harris has flipped out. He is still sweet a lot, but he's also crazy a lot. I made lunch for him to his exact specifications yesterday, and he threw it across the kitchen. We've been trying to spend more time with him, but he's also been spending more time in time out. Fun for everyone.

On a more fun note, Dan was home with us last week, and he went to the library and checked out Toy Story 1 through 3. Each night, the family would watch one.



What a weirdo.

Then Friday afternoon, Dan took the girls to see the new Toy Story 4. Of course, I had a terrible mix-up with Fandango, and they didn't issue our tickets correctly. So then Dan and the girls had to come back home, and there were many tears. I worked out the issues with Fandango, and the crew was able to set out Saturday morning to really see the movie. Hint: If you can find a 10:00 a.m. showing of a movie, it's only $6 a ticket. I find this exciting.



June made that visor her last day of school, and it has accompanied us many places. It's her "summer hat".

And that is Gwen's caterpillar. He lost a foot, and there has been a lot of mourning ever since.

We've also taught the girls to play checkers, and it is a delight/torture to play with them. June likes to talk through each move THOROUGHLY, and if you do jump one of her guys, she always yells out "OOPSA DOOPSA!"


I don't know why.

And of course, this love continues to grow. So sweet. Hope it lasts forever.


I just checked, and only 29834729837 days of summer left. Hope my craft supplies last.

The End.

6 comments:

  1. I am dying over Gwen's outfit for movie time. Just undies. and another pair (?) on her head. and sunnies. She is the coolest girl I know. And then I melted in a puddle of my own tears and heart juices over Gwennie feeding Beck. Sweetest thing. Ever. Harris is going to get karma when he has kids. Mark my words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the newest addition. I love reading your blog and catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First picture Gwen: "DON T GO I WILL MISS YOU SO MUCH. "
    Second picture Gwen: "now where is that bus?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cordi wore my exercise panties on her neck like a scarf for lunch last week. Don't worry, they were clean.

    ReplyDelete