I did, however, take a photo of Gwen's hat she wore to one day of LEGO camp because she wanted me to. So there's that. We can pretend her hat is made of LEGOs.
I don't know if you can tell, but Gwen put this outfit together HERSELF.
I wish I looked this good in a hat. Pulling off a baseball cap is a big accomplishment in my book.
All week Gwen told me about the LEGO glasses one kid would win on the last day for doing really well at camp. When I picked her and June up on the last day, Gwen's lips were quivering and I knew she hadn't won. But she kept saying "my glasses, my glasses" so I finally went over to the teacher to verify the situation. He just looked at me and shook his head, not saying a word. So there's that.
We also went to a play about space at the library. What can I say--we were STEMming it up in a major way this week. If you know me at all, STEM skills describe me to a T.
My kids were mega into it, with June attempting to shout out loud questions during the middle of the play. This stresses me greatly.
The grand finale of the play involved several kids volunteering to play the role of all of the planets. Gwen was selected to be Mars, for which she was required to sport a red fireman hat because Mars is red. Harris thought he was selected for a role as well and marched up there with all of the other kids and would not come sit back down despite my best efforts. The presenters made up a role for him on the spot so he was cast last minute as the junior planet Pluto. Which was perfect because he was looking quite junior next to the group of older kids.
I'm old enough to remember when Pluto was just a regular ol' planet.
June LOVES the solar system. Her class studied it last year and went to the planetarium, plus it's been the focus of our library programs this summer, plus we read a ton of books about it at home.
So while my girls may be well informed about space and the planets, one thing they definitely do NOT know about is what are the latest gadgets.
The other day I pulled out an old CD player to play some audiobooks. I normally play books and music for them on my phone but had found some books on CD I wanted to play for them. When they saw this CD player, they thought our family had arrived. What was this new amazing piece of gadgetry?!?!?
They played my old CDs and danced it up. They've asked if they can keep this new and exciting device in their very own room.
They think I'm awesome for having a CD player. They are the only ones.
And last night, we returned for the second year in a row to the West Point dance concert. It was amazing.
Dan complies with my requests to go though he doesn't enjoy dancing. The band was so good, the view was beautiful, and everyone got into it despite the crazy heat and humidity. Harris was our biggest dancer this year. You couldn't get him off the dance floor to take a break. He even joined in on the conga line.
That's me in the black dancing with Gwen in the pink. My knee length jersey dress was saturated with sweat. The sweat weighed it down and stretched it out to be ankle length by the end of the night. YUCK.
Our view at the end of the night. We drove home on windy roads in the rain. We got home after 11, and everyone was exhausted, which was the same story this morning when we woke up for church.
Which led to this amazing photo shoot.
This picture perfectly encapsulates how the photo session went. And I only had time for two photos, and this was the better one.
It was my turn to play the organ at church today, and June asked if she could sit up on the bench with me. I made her promise not to touch any buttons or stops or pedals. She promised and did a great job of refraining. But that didn't stop her from talking to me through every hymn. "Mom, which song are you playing? Where are you at? What does 'deny' mean? Mom, Mom, MOM!" So peaceful.
After church, a still very tired June asked me to pull a wiggly tooth out. I did, and she was very excited to hold onto this tooth because, as you may recall, she lost her first lost tooth. She took the tooth from my hand and took it to the bathroom sink to wash the blood off of it. As soon as the gush of water hit the tooth in her hand, she promptly dropped the tooth down the sink.
And that was that.
She cried and cried and begged me to take apart the pipes to find her tooth. And then begged me to go to whatever river the water would be dumped into and to find her tooth.
Sorry if the hole in her mouth makes you queasy. It does me.
I have a feeling each tooth will be lost in some unique and tragic way.
And this buddy started smiling and cooing this week. And still seems to find my screeching voice comforting. We're a match, Beck and me.













What a sweet baby.
ReplyDeleteIf beck enjoys squeaky voices, he's going to love beck family home videos
ReplyDeleteI remember one time at cordill mason, I was chosen to be the ONLY participant in a story telling assembly. It was my crowning elementary achievement which was not a very impressive list
If I sat next to you on the organ, I would ask all the same questions.
Scarlett also has the looking good in hats gene.
That Lego camp man should probably go back to his basement Lego realm and not work with kids