Sunday, June 7, 2020

Have Ye Received His Image In Your Countenance?

We have been talking about the senseless murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery and others at our house all this week. And I do mean all week. I'm a news junkie and read everything I could find to learn more. My way of dealing with things is to talk. I know some people have conversations on Facebook or other social media, but that doesn't work as well for me. I need real, one-on-one conversations. I called many friends and family members this week. And of course Dan and I talked the most of all. I can even say that I talked to him about it through the bathroom door at one point. Because it felt that urgent.

There was a little peaceful protest in my little Pennsylvania town, but we found out about it too late. We are hoping that I can take the two girls if something else comes up. I have heard about interfaith marches against racism. I would love to be a part of that.

This week in the Book of Mormon we studied Alma's sermon in Alma 5. The best question in whole book is "Have ye received His image in your countenance?" Gave me a ton to think about, especially this week. His image is one that is full of love and compassion for every single person He created. 

It's easy to feel inadequate. I know I do. But I see where I can do better. And so I will. One of the best things someone said to me this week was my sister Heidi. She said, "I can't do so many things, but I can raise four children to stand up for what is right." That is what I have in my power to do as well.

I am also educating myself and listening. I know there is work to be done outside of my home as well. My neighborhood and community need me to take part in the change.

So here is to living a life more dedicated to Christ. To loving His children. I especially want my black and brown brothers and sisters to know I see them and hear them and support them. 

We've also been working on some of June's goals for her youth program at church. We set some goals together at the beginning of the year but totally let the ball drop with Covid. Which is silly because Covid is great time to work on some goals. We dusted off the ol' book this week and re-read her goals. She wants to learn to cook better and is committed to helping me with dinner at least three times a week. She helped me make chicken salad this week.


So did Gwen. I thought she would like slicing the grapes because she loves grapes, but it turns out she only likes eating them.


(Sidenote: As if to narrate her dislike for slicing grapes or anything other chores I give her, she is currently playing Jingle Bells in a minor key on the piano.)

Harris has given himself yet another haircut. Where is his mother, you may ask. Well, she's still here but all semblance of her sanity left long ago.

I feel like he's getting closer and closer to this kid from The Little Rascals (which was our Fun Friday movie this week).


 June received a Dairy Queen gift card from her teacher for completing all of her work during online school. We took the kids yesterday, and it was hot.

There was also a duck pond with a feeder machine next to us, and the kids found this most exciting. We told them, "Once you finish your ice cream, we have a quarter for each of you so you can feed the ducks."

Gwen's response: "The ducks eat money?"




On the way home, we saw countless yards where people were outside in their little cool inflatable pools/slides/whathaveyou, and Dan told the kids about how his dad used to wet down a tarp and they would slide down on that.

So the kids asked him to get out or tarp and do this same thing.

We tried. It was a bust. We sat down on the tarp, hose running, and then scooted ourselves down with our hands and bottoms. The fun never ends.

It ended in a water fight and eating corn dogs on the deck in swimsuits, which made up for a lot.



Ignore that beautiful plant. It's what we do.

Church today. There's a fly in that jar. The kids are that desperado for a pet. Please give me your pet advice. I am a cold-hearted non-pet wanter. Tell me your best low-maintenance pet ideas.


And Harris "Don't Take My Picture" Jolley.

Harris gave his first talk in our Sacrament meeting today. All talks are written by kids and assisted by Dad. It's my favorite.



I know my blog is missing my usual spunk. It's been a hard week. Which for me means being at home and reading the news and feeling sad. I know others have been through much more. 

I love the Gospel. I love Jesus Christ. He is the way.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. You are awesome. Thank you for your thoughts, testimony, and support of those who are hurting.

    I want to hear the talk Harris prepared. And see his hairCUTE in person. Also I died laughing that you have a fly in a jar because it's the closest they have to a pet. Get a tarantula. Super low maintenance. It stays in its cage (unless it gets out and lost in your house like ours did) and you just feed it a bag of live crickets from the pet store periodically. It's so neat and a true treasure. I loved it. Not.

    A lizard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think a snake is an ideal pet.
    we held a dog yesterday that cost $5000. yes, all those zeros. it looked like a dollar store dog to me. i thrn pretended that we werr actually going to buy it because my face when she said the price could not play it cool.

    ReplyDelete