Wednesday, October 11, 2017

She's Killing Me . . . with Kindness

June's primary program is a couple of weeks away. We've been working on her part every night, and she has memorized it fairly quickly. But I realized that she had no idea what she was saying.

Her part is: When people hurt Jesus, he said, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." Jesus forgave those who hurt Him.

It's a pretty powerful part actually. So for Family Home Evening on Monday, we showed the kids a great video about forgiveness. We talked about being patient and kind and loving to those who hurt our feelings. 

I felt pretty good about this because my girls are constantly fighting and require lots of forgiveness from each other.

This plan has backfired enormously.

Later that Monday night, June was dawdling and wouldn't get in the tub. The tub was full, the water was warm, the bubbles were bubbling, the toys were still floating, and June was wandering standing outside the tub, looking at the ceiling.

"June," I said. "Get in the tub."

I said this several times, until it became:

"JUNE! GET IN THE TUB RIGHT NOW! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

To which June replied:

"Mom, I forgive you for yelling at me."

Another morning, I yelled again. I'm good at yelling.

June said, "Mom, when you yell at me, it makes me cry. But I'll be patient with you."

She's also getting smarter in our power struggles.

This morning, I did June's hair in two cute buns.




Of course, she hated it and begged me to take them out and put "just one ponytail" in. 

So, I offered her a deal.

"June, if you leave your hair in these two buns, I'll give you a special treat when you get home from school."

"Mom, I will leave two buns in my hair if I get a special Halloween treat when I get home and you promise never to bug me ever again."





2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Hah hahaha haha a haha hahaha haha haha hahaha hah hahahhahahh hahhahahahahhahahah haha haha ha haha hahhahahahahhahahah

    ReplyDelete