Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Welcome to the 90s, Mr. Bahhhnks

Growing up in the Beck household meant jumping on the trend bandwagon pretty late. My parents raised five kids on a tight budget and getting the latest gadgets or electronics never happened. I actually love this about my childhood because I didn't even anticipate getting a lot of the things other kids were expecting, and I think that has served me well as an adult.

So when we finally did get the "latest" thing--10 years after everyone else (and much cheaper)--it was pretty exciting.

This has continued in my life even now and is definitely not limited to technology. I jumped on the Instagram wagon pretty late (and continue to jump right back off of it from time to time). We didn't have the internet the first year of our marriage. Let me repeat that. We didn't have the internet the first year of our marriage. I don't know how we managed that, but we were really poor so we figured it out. Daniel lived at UNLV's library so that he could complete assignments. I went through my boy band stage in college. That's when I listened to NSYNC, a full 8 years after my friends had their obsession.

All this to say that I am just now using Pinterest. Honestly, I didn't need it before, and I know a lot of people who still don't need it. And I think that's great. But a few months ago, I started doing a special eating plan for a couple of months. I needed a place to store recipes. That turned into discovering easy crafts the girls could do with stuff I already had on hand. I also found the most ridiculous craft ideas on earth that are the equivalent of carving Fabio's face out of ice. I stay away from those.

I don't need more to do, but I do want to do some things differently, and Pinterest has been great for that.

We made these pumpkins with an apple "stamp" and some paint for FHE this week.




Also, we had jack-o-lantern quesadillas last night when Dan was out of town. This was especially special for me because my go-to when Dan is out of town is cereal or junk food. No joke. 


Gwen is extremely hard to impress.


 But June was thrilled.



 Harris--one week with the helmet and me--2.5 months with Smile Direct Club retainers.










1 comment:

  1. Tell me more about this "internet" of which you speak.
    We might make out pizza into a jack o lantern tonight. Somehow.

    ReplyDelete