Sunday, June 19, 2022

And Every Once in Awhile, Fun Heather Shows Up.

You may be wondering where in the world the title for this post came from. Welp, it came from Dan. He was telling me about the different parts of me that shine through for various occasions. The many sides to Heather Jolley. Kinda like when Pete points out Rosalee's seven smiles in Win a Date with Tad Hamilton, except that instead of 7 smiles, I seem to have 7 levels of growing intensity. According to Dan, there is "List Heather" which is when I bombard his Saturday with an impossibly long list of to do's that I actually think we are going to get done. But we never do. We never make it to number 4 out of 134. Dan says there is also "Incoherent Heather", which shows up every single night at around 8:00 p.m. Incoherent Heather can't form full sentences, read through an entire chapter during bedtime with the kids, or tackle any sort of life crisis without the solution being "I hope we just die before then" (which is often my response when discussing retirement planning). Dan doesn't enjoy these rather dark conversations with me.

It's 7:14 p.m. now. I better write fast.

But there's also "Second Wind Heather". This Heather pulls through my period of incoherence and then can get a ton of stuff done for about two hours. But then I reach a breaking point where I am so stressed out that I can't sleep. And I get giddy and laugh hysterically and then become emotional and cry and tell Dan that he never loved me. And sometimes I stare at my Christmas cards (yes they are still up) so that I can reassure myself that I really do have friends. 

So Dan was listing these really fun sides of my personality, and then said at the end, "and every once in awhile, Fun Heather shows up. But she's been showing up more often lately."

So, to break that down--I'm not fun very often, but lately I have been more fun than usual. I'm 37 and going through a fun phase. Is this a midlife crisis?

So this post is about the fun. Don't get used to it, because it will probably fade into incoherence pretty soon.

I volunteered to head up the Father's Day treats at church this year. Dan was in charge of the Mother's Day treats and planned an entire brunch for the ladies. It was so fun. So I headed up a pie day, with 8 ladies each making 8 individual-sized pies for the menfolk. There was a huge variety, and it was really--dare I say it--fun? I even calmed myself toward all of the youth and kids hanging around, begging pies off of me (the biggest perpetrators being my own children). 


Cute kids, complete with booger picking for Father's Day Fun!

Here is a rather fun bruise on my nose from my fun toddler, Beck. Beck is the sweetest and yet most maniacal kid in the history of ever.

Dan reinstituted Family Workouts every Friday. They are actually super fun (though the kids loooooooove to complain about it). The obstacle course he came up with this week involved jumping on the trampoline and I only peed a little. Moms with smashed-up-thanks-kids-bladders probably can't jump on the trampoline, even in the name of good health,



The funniest picture of Gwen ever, and I love it.


Beck, that sweet maniac, turned 3. Gwen really helped me out with his birthday this year. She made the candy bar poster. She made a scavenger hunt leading to this big present (a train table). Yay Gwen!


The kids and I attended a juggling show at the library. Because I am just so fun.


Also, we started our park system's annual summer scavenger hunt. We have found 3 of the 15 markers so far. 

For me, it's hard to be both fun and productive. But easing off on the productivity a tad and focusing on the fun a little more is the goal for this summer.

2 comments:

  1. I love fun Heather! I also am entertained by all the other Heathers 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pic of Gwen is CLASSIC!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete