I took a chance and bought the girls a big gift for Christmas that I wasn't positive that they would love. A sewing machine. They loooooooooove crafting, but have only used a sewing machine with Grandma Kristi once when we visited her in Vegas. I am terrible at crafts and felt like I was making a huge sacrifice in buying them a sewing machine because I knew it would mean I would have to educate myself on it and that it would be painful for my non-crafty brain to take on.
Christmas morning, it seemed like the boys were receiving more presents than the girls . . . because they were. Gwen's face was growing more concerned with each present opening because Gwen is quite aware of all things fair and equal. I finally pulled out a large present for her and June to unwrap together, and Gwen exclaimed, "Oh good! This is going to be a huge LEGO set!" It wasn't. It was the sewing machine, and she cried because she was so disappointed.
I told my girls, "Look, I am happy to take this back and buy you LEGOs or give you money or something else. I didn't buy this because I was dying for you to have it but rather because I thought you would really enjoy it." And honestly, I would have been relieved to take it back because no sewing machine=less work for me. But in the end, they decided to have a good friend over to show them a few things and to see if they liked it.






I love the sewing machine creations and your family!!!
ReplyDelete