Sunday, December 3, 2017

How We Became the People with Tons of Stuff in our Yard

We've had a  kind of unwritten goal (does that make it only a wish?!?!) to expand our Christmas decorating each year with one or two things. Last year, we thought we had made the big time by buying a reindeer that lights up for the front yard. I think we also put a strand of lights on one bush. 

June came to me very upset this year that she was worried that our poor reindeer was so lonely. This is something June worries about all of the time--anyone being lonely. I reassured her that this inanimate object was totally not lonely, but she couldn't get over it. I saw a light-up fawn on super sale at Target, so I rationalized that I could buy it to soothe June.

I sent my landlord a text to ask him some questions about the outside outlets before we started plugging everything in. He responded by telling me that he also has four reindeer and a sleigh that he used to use and  wouldn't we want to add them to our display?

This is when things started getting crazy.



Of course, the kids (including Dan) were thrilled to have this stuff. I think it's pretty fun too. In fact, while we were setting it all up, I commented, "Wow, these kids have really changed us. We were never the type of people to do this." To which Dan responded, "Correction. You were never the type to do something like this. You changed."

So my grinchy heart may be melting a little bit. But not too much because more suggestions have been submitted by the peanut gallery about adding additional lawn ornaments and they have been vetoed by the Christmas Decorating Committee, of which I am chair. I can only handle so much stuff in my yard, and we are definitely there.


Finished product. A terrible picture by me (shocker) so you can't really see how Dan lined the sleigh with lights. It's much better in person.

We also finally bought a real tree. Not a real "real tree", mind you. But rather an artificial that is actually taller than the people in this family. We've had a Charlie Brown tree for years, and we decided to upgrade.


I need to buy a topper though.

This morning, I noticed an addition to our tree had been made by the girls.


That is an ornament hook holding up a bunch of other ornament hooks with a piece of tape across the front. So beautiful. Ha.

We kept the Charlie Brown tree and let the girls decorate it with their ornaments.


And the Christmas traditions have begun. Dan and I watched It's a Wonderful Life, and I choked up at the same part I do every year--the scene where George saves Mr. Gower from making a terrible pharmaceutical mistake. And as I do every year, I looked over at Dan. While I was choking back a few tears, he was weeping. It's one of my favorite things about that man. He is tender.

Good thing he doesn't read my blog or he would be mad I wrote that.

The LDS congregations of Morristown put on a fabulous Creche display every year, and thousands of people come to see the 300+ nativity sets. I was asked to play some background music for it this year. Or I thought it was background music. Imagine my surprise when I showed up and there was a poster with my face on it.


I was pretty nervous, but it was fine. But what was more than fine were the creches themselves. I was so overwhelmed by how beautiful they were.




I love seeing all of the depictions of the birth of our Savior. What a blessing.

And here are some pictures of those darn kids.


I'm still trying to do their hair every day, and I still can't make a straight part.





What a doll.

The end.

3 comments:

  1. Your yard and tree looks lovely! Adam and I love watching It's A Wonderful Life too. It's usually a Christmas Eve tradition when it's late and the kids are asleep, but I don't think I can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one impressive creche display. And one impressive performance by a pianist. I bet several single men were disappointed to find you are married with children. You probably should have worn your glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You deserve a dang marquee with your name in lights, but I guess a poster will suffice. Also, I love that Dan corrected you on who is into lawn decor. And that scene is always difficult to watch!

    ReplyDelete