It's been six days since I've written, but whoa. This past week has been jam packed with activities. Or maybe just normal for everyone else and jam packed for a 7 month pregnant lady with terribly restless legs and no room to breathe in her lung cavity.
That's right. 7 months. 2 whole months left, and I'm already feeling like getting through the day is difficult. Don't let me think about it.
But back to the activities.
1. Good Character Fair. Thursday night, we had June's Character Fair at her school. Oh bless. This fair has been a battle for me. A couple of months ago, the school sent home a flyer asking for student volunteers to do a service project and make a poster board about it. My reaction? I like service. I want June to do service. Let's do this thingy.
So we signed up, and I took her to a nursing home with some kids from the ward. They sang, they danced, it was good. I planned on two more visits before the Good Character Fair.
And then stuff just kept coming up. I would plan something, and there would be some impossible conflict. And I got incredibly sick with the flu for almost 3 weeks.
Meanwhile, the school kept sending home more info about the project. It said things like "students need to prepare a 3-5 minute oral presentation to go with their poster board" and "let us know if you student needs a chromebook for any slideshow they might be preparing". And my reaction? Wut. This is not what I signed up for. I'm into service, but I'm dying over here. And we are going to look like fools if we follow through on this thing.
So I emailed back and forth with her teacher and tried to get out of it. But June wasn't having it. That girl. So determined.
So we improvised, and instead of taking my flu to the nursing home, Dan took June to visit some friends we have who have a hard time getting out of the house where she could give them treats and jewelry we made.
![]() |
| Gwen has already decided she can't wait to do her GCF project next year. Oof. |
And we slapped some photos on a poster board and called it good.
And then we showed up at the GCF, and no one had an oral presentation and no one had a slide show. Most of the poster boards looked like ours--very much student-made. Right up my alley!!!
We were the only people in the gym at that moment, and it was a very good thing.
But it's pretty hard to go. In fact, every time we pull into the driveway after a successful temple trip, I cheer, "WE DID IT!!" I love living close to NYC, but it's kind of a pain to get there sometimes.
So we have been abundantly blessed by a recent event. My mom's sister, Aunt Marie, was recently called as a senior sister to serve full-time in the Manhattan Temple. And that means she has watched our kids in her apartment the past two times we have been able to go. It's been a total game changer, and I feel like the Lord has been so aware of us and our needs.
Blast it all, of course I forgot to get a picture of Aunt Marie with the kids, but here is one she took of them at Central Park yesterday. That's right. She took my three kids to Central Park. And bought them ice cream. What a lady!
We also went to Magnolia Bakery before our session. The lines were long, and it was HOT.
The girls and I went inside to wait in line, while Dan watched Harris run around outside. I don't know who had the worse job.
The line. This is where I'm not the best person to live near NYC. Because everyone I know is willing to wait forever in line for good food, and I'm just not. I thought the desserts were tasty, but I doubt I'd wait in line for them again.
June and Gwen were 100% decided on the daisy cupcakes.
Crammed around a table and making a mess.
And afterward, everyone was so sugared out and so thirsty, we stopped at a hot dog stand and grabbed waters and a couple of hot dogs. Here is Dan, dutiful dad, giving each kid bites of a hot dog we made them share.
As we were headed to the temple from Magnolia Bakery, Dan, Sunday-dress clad and pushing two kids in one stroller and me, also Sunday-dress clad and pushing another kid in another stroller, and carrying another baby in my large and in charge pregnant belly, we passed by someone who yelled out "MORMON!!"
You nailed it, buddy!
3. Last Supper. It's the week before Easter, and Easter is my favorite holiday! Just as we did last year, we started out the week with our little rendition of the "Last Supper". We served rotisserie chicken, pita bread, hummus, goat cheese, grapes and grape juice. Not the most authentic. And to top it off, because I know my hubs and what he wants out of a meal, I asked him to make a bunch of mashed potatoes to fill in the cracks.
Dan set up the living room with a bunch of cushions, and we sat on the floor.
I love many things about this tradition, but what I love the most? A fun way to have a Gospel discussion that is honestly easier than most Sunday dinners I make. Which is why it will continue as a tradition. I'm no Fancy Pants. It's like a break from cooking and yet feels special and produces great Gospel discussion. We talked about the Triumphal Entry and the Last Supper, and I felt good about our discussion, even if the kids were paying attention only some of the time. It was nice.
4. Harris turns 2. Today is also Harris's birthday. Two years ago, Harris was born two days before Easter. Last year, Easter week coincided with June's birthday. And this year, it's back to sharing with Harris's birthday. It's always a busy time around here.
Though I complained about his (mis)behavior a couple of weeks ago, he has been a little better lately. But still has an opinion. For example, he does not wish to have his birthday picture taken. No siree.
But I managed to get a couple anyway.
We had our Last Supper during his nap (which made it way better than it would have been), so we opened presents after he woke up.
He received some books, clothes and a lawn mower that makes bubbles!
I also found these weird bubble-making gloves at Aldi for $4, so the girls received a little present too.
The girls helped me make his cake.
I added chocolate chips to the batter, and it was a most excellent addition.
Thanks for hanging with us, Harris, even though we only dress you half of the time and can't keep up with your stinky diapers or snotty noses. We love you.
The End.






















I can't stop laughing at the "MORMON!" comment. Was it in a mocking voice or like a hey! I know that look! How fun! Mormons! voice? Harris with wet/combed hair is the cutest thing I've ever seen, and I love June's poster!!! Way to go, mom of the decade!
ReplyDelete