Friday, February 20, 2026

Let's Do This.

I am currently sitting at June's play practice and golldarnit, I am going to write something on this blog. I won't attempt to update you on all of the things from the past 18 months. But here are some things.

1. We still homeschool, and thus we go on lots of field trips. 

We went to the Fishwrapper printing press in January. If you don't know what the Fishwrapper is, have you been living under a rock? Or maybe you just don't live in Amish Country. It's a free paper at all of the grocery stores in Central PA, and it's full of super clean Christian "dad" jokes and advertisements. 

After absolutely tonzzz of complaining about not wanting to go to a "boring printing press", Harris saw some machines at work and was so happy. I know this boy will be an engineer, even if I do not know what being an engineer means.


The only person in our family to get in trouble at the printing press was me, shockingly. Normally I have to get after the boys a whole bunch but this time, I started to dancing to the beat of various printing and folding machines, and a nice Mennonite asked me to stop. I am going to tell myself that's because they don't believe in dancing, not that my actual talent was lacking.

Grandma Sandy was in town so we took her on our annual field trip to the farm show. We just barely missed a calf being born this year, but we did get to see the afterbirth. And then we ate milkshakes. Yum!



We also went to the car museum, which Harris needed NO convincing to attend but then did, in fact, end up being very boring. The irony.


2. Personal Events.

Beck wrestled at his first tournament and took 3rd place. I was beyond thrilled. Wrestling is the weirdest sport in the world. Every tournament I enter, I start out judging all of the crazy, screaming parents. And then my own kid is in there, and it's personal, and I'm screaming more than anyone. Beck enjoyed it. He is our kid that enjoys pain. Our newest game at home is he attacks me from behind with a pillow, I snatch the pillow and give him a five second head start before I throw the pillow at him as hard as I can. If I aim well, it takes him down to the ground. And then he laughs and asks me to do it again. He was definitely born to wrestle.

Gwen was a Star-Bellied Sneetch AND Thing #2 in a Jr. adaptation of Seussical.




Grandma Sandy was in town for both of these events, and it was so special. 
Beck refused to be in this picture, and Gwen was crying about something. Sounds like just another Sunday.






Miscellany:

We have been taking a lot of trips to the Lancaster Science Factory while June has been in play practice for Peter Pan.



We had fondue, which should really be called FUNdo! for Valentine's Day.


Gwen went to the temple for the first time in January. We have two girls in Young Women's!


Our three violinists played in a special Colonial Ball for a nursing home in January. There was much fighting about the outfits from the boys. I would love to say that after all was said and done, they were glad they dressed up and went and served the nursing home residents. But they weren't.


The girls made baskets in one of their 4-H classes. 


Which was just a day after we had gone on this field trip to a mansion made in a Medieval design.





It was this week, in the midst of field trips to castles and basket weaving that Dan asked me if we ever learn anything useful in our homeschool. And I had to say no.

The End.



2 comments:

  1. I'm still here and thrilled to read your words again! Love you, Heather!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not surprised at all about Beck's favorite pillow game. Harris looking like an ecstatic Charlie Bucket in a chocolate factory with those machines is the cutest thing in the world. Love these!!

    ReplyDelete